Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: NCAAW Basketball 2013 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
T_Woodie

Online Status: Offline
Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 20Jan2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by wnbarocks

Simmons is absolutely one of the fastest players I have ever seen! Crazy fast.

That would be the point wnbarocks!

This is just a personal observation I have towards Simmons and how she plays in college. She has to play "within the system" in college, to be part of the team. So she has to use her skills within Coach Warlick's offensive system. I don't have an qualms with that, but I think Pat Summit used Simmons' skills much better than Warlick does, so it seems Simmons is digressing under Warlick.

Her stock has gone down under Warlick. If that continues, she could be a steal in the draft. The question is...if she's on the board when the time comes...does Pokey take her?

LadyVols vs ND tonight too!

Edited by T_Woodie - 20Jan2014 at 1:01pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 22Jan2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by vickilz

I'm with ya T-Woodie Thumbs%20Up  I wouldn't mind seeing Simmons picked by the Sky.  I like her defense. She's fast and disruptive to the opponents offense.  Her defense creates offense.  Simmons freshman year was her best year, that was the last season Pat truly ran the team. Her second season was the season of coaching by committee, her third season was Holly Warlick's first year as head coach. This year I think Holly is struggling to define her system and it shows in the way the team is playing this year.   I hope Pokey sees her potential. A coach like Pokey can get Simmons on track, use her speed and reign in her shooting to be a quality WNBA player.

I truly hope you get your wish. Simmons with #10? I'll be laughing hard on draft day.

If Simmons needs Summitt to be good (a theory based on coincidence, not a proven fact), that's a definite handicap. Pokey is not Summitt. Simmons doesn't have the body or skills for the next level.
IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 23Jan2014 at 7:40pm
I didn't mean that Simmons needs Summitt to be good. It's my opinion that  the coaching inconsistency during her second and third year hindered her development and is the reason her freshman year was her best so far.  

IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 25Jan2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Shades

Originally posted by vickilz

I'm with ya T-Woodie Thumbs%20Up  I wouldn't mind seeing Simmons picked by the Sky.  I like her defense. She's fast and disruptive to the opponents offense.  Her defense creates offense.  Simmons freshman year was her best year, that was the last season Pat truly ran the team. Her second season was the season of coaching by committee, her third season was Holly Warlick's first year as head coach. This year I think Holly is struggling to define her system and it shows in the way the team is playing this year.   I hope Pokey sees her potential. A coach like Pokey can get Simmons on track, use her speed and reign in her shooting to be a quality WNBA player.

I truly hope you get your wish. Simmons with #10? I'll be laughing hard on draft day.

If Simmons needs Summitt to be good (a theory based on coincidence, not a proven fact), that's a definite handicap. Pokey is not Summitt. Simmons doesn't have the body or skills for the next level.

I think she has the skills but the discipline is lacking.  Could be worth a late 1st round look based on potential but I wouldn't be surprised at all if she doesn't amount to anything in the pros.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 25Jan2014 at 6:44pm
Simmons probably goes in the 2nd round...and this draft is not that deep. The team that gets Simmons in the 2nd round gets a gift.

Swish Appeal make the same point in this article on Simmons:
http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/1/22/5333446/tennessee-vs-notre-dame-meighan-simmons

They also make the point of how Simmons is used within an offense.

Edited by T_Woodie - 26Jan2014 at 10:12am
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 26Jan2014 at 2:27pm
Today The LadyVols must beat Texas A&M to remain in contention for the SEC title.

Warlick simply doesn't get the most from her offense of late, and she can expect to hear pressure from the fans about getting it done.

A&M is 6-0 in the SEC...the LadyVols are 4-2...they have to pin a loss on A&M today, so they best UP THEIR GAME!

We're not seeing the defense they're known for, nor the domination of the boards. Graves, Harrison, Burdick and Russell, have to dominate the boards.

Simmons, Massengale, Carter, and Reynolds have to control tempo.

They need this game or Holly Warlick will be facing some adversity!

UPDATE
The LadyVols were definitely on their game! They took A&M apart 76-55 at A&M's house! Simmons led the charge with 26!

Edited by T_Woodie - 27Jan2014 at 6:44pm
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 02Feb2014 at 5:27pm
LadyVols started out shaky vs Bama. Massengale out and Simmons with 2 early fouls had to sit out the first half.

Second half they adjusted and played more poised with Simmons on the floor. Burdick was huge in this game. Graves looks like she's about 90%.

LadyVols defense took control in the 2nd half for the win...but they have got to take better care of the ball.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 08Feb2014 at 2:39pm
LadyVols take Ole Miss 67-55...Simmons leads the way with 20.

Not bad without Massengale in the line-up.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 10Feb2014 at 9:55pm
LadyVols annihilate Vanderbilt 81-53...talk about REVENGE!!!

Simmons was just GREAT at both ends...20pts and 5 assists. She's really matured over these last 6-7 games. Took great shots and made great assists. They need to get Ariel Massengale back before the SEC Tourney...they are back in the running to win the SEC outright!

Edited by T_Woodie - 10Feb2014 at 9:58pm
IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 11Feb2014 at 6:28am
Originally posted by T_Woodie

LadyVols annihilate Vanderbilt 81-53...talk about REVENGE!!!

Simmons was just GREAT at both ends...20pts and 5 assists. She's really matured over these last 6-7 games. Took great shots and made great assists. They need to get Ariel Massengale back before the SEC Tourney...they are back in the running to win the SEC outright!

This was the best defense I've seen the Lady Vols play all season. They shut Vandy down. Simmons, Harrison and Burdick have been playing well. When they get the ball inside, their posts are unstoppable. Good production off the bench as well. 
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version